“No but seriously, Hilary, are you really from Vegas? I mean, I’ve heard of people going there to visit but who would’ve thought people actually live there?” Laughter exploded throughout the group.
I chuckled and took a sip of Merlot before replying, “Yes, my dear John, I am in fact from Sin City. As hard as that may be to believe.” He shook his head in disbelief and poured himself more wine.
Dahlia leaned over the platter of cheese and touched my arm. “But do you actually live in houses? I mean, like, are there schools and things?” The others nodded and murmured in wonder, waiting expectantly for an answer.
I looked around at my new group of friends dismayed. How had I gone from She-Who-Cries-in-Dorm-Room to being the center of poolside discussion? It was a little unbelievable. I had been convinced I would spend the remainder of my time in Cairns lying in that bunk bed willing the seconds to pass sooner. And now here I was, enjoying one of my last remaining nights in this coastal town with friends from every corner of the globe.
- Published in Australian Adventures
- The Ask All Tell All’s of Nomadic Life: Financing Your Fun
- About Hilary
- Tuning up: The Airplane Travel Playlist
- Help Me Land The Best Job in the World!
- The Road to OZ: WTF, Universe?
- How A Year of Blogging Changed My Life
- Before You Go: Australia/Fiji Need-to-Knows
- Dancing Under the Sea: A Great Barrier Reef Romance
- Things Travelers Never Tell You: When Travel Bites
- Beyond and Beneath the Sea: A Current of Affairs