Getting Down (Under): The Australia Playlist
Yeah, I know. I haven’t updated recently. I’ve been a little distracted watching the Olympics and exploring Australia while I can. Sorry about that.
I was planning on posting about all sorts of awesome adventures today, but my inbox is flooding with requests for more playlist posts. And normally I would read the e-mails, take them into account, and then just post what I feel like anyway. But since I’ve been neglectful, I’ve decided to give the people what they want.
So by popular demand, I bring you…
Music to Get Down (Under) To: The Australia Playlist
1. Land Down Under- Men at Work. An obvious choice… obviously. But in case you didn’t catch the obviousness of an Australian band singing about their homeland, allow me to elucidate: it’s a song about people from Australia (you’re welcome). Oh, and it’s catchy. And the line, “Can’t you hear, can’t you hear the thunder,” makes me laugh. We have a Thunder From Down Under show in Las Vegas. I’ve never been, but it’s familiar enough to almost feel like home.
2. Reminiscing- The Little River Band. Smooth jazz and easy listening owe big favors to this late-70′s Australian hit. This song is an automatic mood lifter (if you don’t agree, you must like sadness… just kidding. But no, seriously…) Who doesn’t want to make awesome memories in Sydney Harbor to remember many moons in the future? Allow the sexy saxophone to soothe your worries so you can fully embrace the moment.
3. Highway to Hell- AC/DC. “Are you living easy? Are you living free?” Well, if you’re visiting Australia, you should be. After all, it is the land of ‘no worries’. “Don’t stop me… I’m going down, all the way down (under).” You couldn’t find a more appropriate song for your road-trip to Ayers Rock. Even if you don’t consider Australia to be the gateway to the underworld (which I don’t), it will still feel like the highway to hell just because it’s so damn hot. And I’m from one of North America’s hottest deserts. So that’s saying something.
4. Soak Up the Sun- Cheryl Crow. Planning on going sailing in Perth? Snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef? Doing a surfari from Manly Beach to Surfer’s Paradise? Wonderful! Put on this tune to get you in the mood for some sun-loving, beach bumming, wave wanderlust. Oh, and wear sunscreen.
5. Who Wouldn’t Want to Be Me- Keith Urban. I’m pretty sure this man is one of the sexiest things to rise up into stardom from Down Under. His songs are catchy and clean, and this one happens to be one of my favorites. If you’re vacationing in Australia, one of the first things you’ll notice are the astronomical prices. With minimum wage being around 20 Australian dollars and the American dollar worth less, you’ll definitely feel the poorness that Keith croons about. But because you’re in freaking Australia with near perfect weather, amazing culture, stunning views, and friendly people, you’re still going to feel like the luckiest sheila in the world.
6. Sydney- Brett Dennen. So while I get that this song isn’t about Sydney the city, it still reminds me of that famous harbor. Plus the song is all about an American boy supporting and testifying on behalf of Sydney. And who wouldn’t back up this eclectic port? Plus with lines like, “Straight from the airport, cut through the customs line, I’ll come running,” you can’t help but visualize and be anxious for that moment when you get off the plane and breathe in that sweet saltwater air.
7. Under the Sea- The Little Mermaid. What do you want from me? I’m a girl. If you remember, I’m pretty fond of the creatures that lie beneath the waves. It’s a happy-go-lucky song about how awesome it is to spend your days 20,000 leagues below (versus above learning your scuba instructor romance was a lie… I’m not bitter… :). Plus I’m pretty sure underwater jam sessions like this happen occasionally at The Great Barrier Reef. But don’t send me hate mail if you don’t witness it. I said pretty sure.
8. Everyone’s Waiting- Miss Higgins. You don’t know how beyond thrilled I am that this Aussie treasure is finally getting some American love. I’ve been a fan of hers for longer than I can remember. This song, fresh off her new album, is thought provoking, soulful, and yes, kind of depressing. But remember, I had a rough go at it in Cairns. There were a lot of unfulfilled expectations, stressful moments, and I felt a lot of pressure to write about it honestly even though I didn’t want to (who wants to admit that they suck at traveling?) Every line in this song resonated with a thought or insecurity I was feeling at the time. It will remind you to log those hard moments and keep moving forward. Oh, and tumble in the waves a bit to remember how to go with the flow.
9. The Animal Song- Savage Garden. I know this Australian pop band may not be loved by everyone truly, madly, and deeply (like what I did there?), but they are a noteworthy addition to your playlist. The indigenous marsupials of Australia are unlike any other animals in the world. How many chances will you have to pet a koala or feed a kangaroo in your lifetime? That’s what I thought. This song speaks to nature and animal lovers everywhere. And who doesn’t want to run careless and free with some dingos? Ill-advised with small children, though.
10. Cool Change- The Little River Band. Yep. I love them so much they get two spots on my top ten. The Little River Band may seem like a small stream act, but they sure do know how to sing a song about time out on the Big Blue. This song is full of appreciation for the ocean, the creatures that call it home, and the emotions that flow to you through the tide. Hopefully through your sailing, snorkeling, scuba dive, surf, or ferry adventure, you too will understand the call of the water.
There you have it, folks! These are my picks of necessary songs to get you in the mood and ready to boogie down to the southern hemisphere for some Australian adventure!
Didn’t see your favorite Australian themed tune here? Leave me a comment with your choice! I’m always looking to expand my music collection and would love your insight. =)
31 Responses to “Getting Down (Under): The Australia Playlist”
Leave a Reply
- The Ask All Tell All’s of Nomadic Life: Financing Your Fun
- About Hilary
- Tuning up: The Airplane Travel Playlist
- Help Me Land The Best Job in the World!
- The Road to OZ: WTF, Universe?
- How A Year of Blogging Changed My Life
- Before You Go: Australia/Fiji Need-to-Knows
- Dancing Under the Sea: A Great Barrier Reef Romance
- Things Travelers Never Tell You: When Travel Bites
- Beyond and Beneath the Sea: A Current of Affairs