Super Mario Swings at Camp Hollywood
After only a few days in Las Vegas, I was on another whirlwind adventure. This time I was headed to one of the biggest swing dance events in the world.
Have I not yet mentioned I’m a swing dancer? Well, there you have it. For the past five years, I’ve been traveling across the states meeting other jazz obsessed, Frankie Manning loving, triple-stepping dancers.
Camp Hollywood, run by the beautiful Hillary Alexander, is one of the largest and longest running swing dance camps around. Every year dancers from around the globe travel to the LAX Marriott to take workshops, partake in social dances, listen to amazing live music, and go head to head in competitions. Camp Hollywood is home to The National Jitterbug Championships where dancers can win reputable titles and clout for their mad aerials, clever footwork, and quality of their lead and follow.
This year there was a very special entry in the Showcase division. Two of my fellow dancers and friends, Morgan Day and Emily Wigger, gained national and international attention with their clever Super Mario swing routine. It seemed lindyhop and youtube lovers alike were thrilled to revel in the nostalgia of this video game favorite.
They were troopers through the end even with the music mishap and major party foul by the DJ. Thanks to their originality and clean dancing, they took 4th place in the contest. Congrats, guys!
Oh, and Happy Halloween to all, especially to those who are dressed as Nintendo characters. :)
3 Responses to “Super Mario Swings at Camp Hollywood”
Leave a Reply
- The Ask All Tell All’s of Nomadic Life: Financing Your Fun
- About Hilary
- Tuning up: The Airplane Travel Playlist
- Help Me Land The Best Job in the World!
- The Road to OZ: WTF, Universe?
- How A Year of Blogging Changed My Life
- Before You Go: Australia/Fiji Need-to-Knows
- Dancing Under the Sea: A Great Barrier Reef Romance
- Things Travelers Never Tell You: When Travel Bites
- Beyond and Beneath the Sea: A Current of Affairs